2.21.2008

Super Hero Update



Today when our Super Hero woke up he had some pain and swelling in his right elbow and rash on both of his ears. It seemed like his arm was hurting him pretty bad during the day but tonight it seems better--of course after receiving some Scooby Doo toys from Grandma Saufley. Who wouldn't feel better?:) I got a call from the pediatrician and she suggested that we see a Hemotologist Oncologist. Sounds scary but he also deals with blood diseases. She thought that he could help with the over all care of his HSP. Which is an undercover way of saying "this is starting to get out of my relm of comfort so you better go to someone who knows more about this" At least that is Jon's interpertation. We were actually able to get in this morning to see him. He confirmed that it was HSP (duh!) But was now worried about the bloody noses--every morning we have to clean up a very "dry bloodied" little nose. It is so painful for the little guy that it takes 45 minutes to get the saline drops in, clean inside and out, and put the gel in his nose with a q-tip. And on top of giving him the 4 other medicines he's on it takes us about 2 hours b/f we can even start the morning routine! Anyways, he is worried about the bloody noses b/c it is not typical of HSP. It is possible that he could have some of those lessions in his nose, thus causing the bloody noses--which he thinks is probably the case. But since they don't know for sure they have to do more blood work. I am going to call or go in tomorrow for the results. The rashes look a whole lot more purple and some have scabbed over. It can take 4-6 weeks b/f it is done running its course. An HSP break out usually only happens 1 time and then doesn't come back again. He will be on steroids for at least another 10 days. The steriods are to help with everything really (swelling, protection of the kidneys) Primarily to help prevent a bowl obstruction from accuring, which is a rare occurance in HSP.

I am trying to document this so I hope the pictures don't bother you. They look a little different now b/c everything is thicker and a dark purple color and some of them have scabbed over.

Thanks for all the prayers and help. We seriously have enough food to last for at least a week of dinners. This morning when I was called and told that the Hemotologist had an opening at 11 and it was already 10:15am, I have had so many people offer to watch my kids that it took me all but 5 minutes to find some one! I have had some one even clean up my house and do my dishes! I feel so blessed that people care so much about our family. Jon and I both thank you so much for your love and support! We will keep you posted.



3 comments:

TiffanyM said...

Okay Summer,
So I am so sorry that I had no idea any of this was going on. Augh that must be so horrible. It is just the worst to see our kids have to go through something like this. We just wish we could take their place. Are you back in town now? I would love to help out in any way that I could. I'm going to try to find your number and give you a call. I'll be thinking of and praying for you guys often!!

Aaron & Sara Warren said...

My goodness! Poor little guy! I am just now getting caught up. So happy to hear that you have a huge support system for this difficult time and happy to here your Super Hero is being such a trooper! I will certainly be keeping your whole family in our prayers.

Underwood's in Cali said...

Summer,
Sorry to hear all this. I can't believe how good he is being and you seem to be dealing with it all ok. how scarey. keep us updated